We’ve devised the retreat itinerary to ensure you have a great running experience while you are with us and leave armed with new tips and ideas to implement. It’s the ideal reboot after spring marathon or half marathon training, or the perfect way to get you back on track after a break from running, due to injury or lost motivation. The limited group size allows for plenty of personal attention and feedback. (All runners get a 1-1 consultation with Sam or Jeff.)
One of England’s best-preserved medieval towns, picturesque Rye perches atop a hill with the English Channel on one side and miles of countryside the other – and this is the time of year to see it at its best, without the crowds of summer. It’s easily accessible from London – 65 minutes via Ashford using the HS1 service or 90 minutes by road – and a 90-minute drive from Gatwick Airport. All the town’s historic attractions, antique shops, pubs and cafes are within walking distance of the hotel and there are miles of footpaths to explore. Non-running partners/friends are welcome to accompany you on the retreat for a reduced rate (details under Information).
The Hope Anchor is situated in the town’s old citadel. We have full and exclusive use of the cosy Log Lounge, dining room, and the 13 comfortable en-suite bedrooms. Free Wi-Fi, limited free parking and walking distance from Rye train station.
We’ve worked with the hotel chef to devise a delicious and nutritious menu featuring plenty of local produce and specifically timetabled to support your running and recovery. Your stay includes breakfast each day, lunch on Saturday and Sunday and a three-course dinner on Friday and Saturday, with a group meal out at a local restaurant on Sunday evening (at own cost). There’ll also be home-baked goodies to enjoy and keep those energy levels topped up!
- Arrival from 3pm - Settle in, unpack and have a drink and a snack.
- One-to-ones: (other slots will be available daily).
- Trail run 5pm - We’ll be heading to the grassy pastures of Rye Harbour Nature Reserve (a few minutes run from the hotel) for a warm-up and scenic run to get to know each other and set the tone for the weekend.
- Welcome drink, followed by dinner 7.30pm.
- Pre-breakfast run 8.30-9.30am (snack available) - We’ll explore running form and how to improve it in the most natural and effective way. Then we’ll put it in to practice with a mixed-pace speed session on the boardwalk designed to raise your lactate threshold and aerobic capacity - and work up an appetite for…
- Breakfast 10-11am.
- Strength and conditioning workshop 12.30-2pm - For injury prevention and improved performance, you need not just strength but stability and mobility. This workshop will help you discover what you need to work on and how.
- Lunch 2pm.
- Free time/One-to-ones 3.30-5pm.
- Trail and hill technique workshop as part of evening run, followed by drinks at the beach 5.30-7pm - How do you run up – and down – hills well? What techniques can you use to run more smoothly and confidently on different terrains?
- Dinner 7.45pm.
- Breakfast 8am-9am.
- Fuelling up for performance and recovery - practical nutrition talk 9-9.45am.
- Depart for long run 10.15am - A scenic run along footpaths, lanes and trails through fields, woodland and orchard, finishing back at the hotel. (Different distances available to suit participants' needs).
- Lunch 1.30-2.30pm.
- Free time/One-to-one appointments 2.30-4.30pm.
- Recovery workshop 5pm - A relaxing full body stretch with tips on optimising recovery and managing niggles.
- Group dinner in Rye at 7.30pm.
- Pre-breakfast recovery run 7.45-8.30am.
- Breakfast 8.45-9.45am.
- Departures - available until checkout at 11am.
Number of rooms: 13
Cost per person:
£390 per person based on two sharing a double or twin ensuite room.
£445 per person based on sole occupancy of a double ensuite room.
Why not bring your partner or a friend? For a non-participant sharing your room, there’s a charge of £200, regardless of room type. They’ll have their days free to explore Rye and join us for meals and free time.
To reserve your place, we require a £100 deposit per person.
- Three nights’ en-suite accommodation at the Hope Anchor Hotel.
- All meals and snacks between your arrival on Friday (from 3pm) and your departure on Monday (by 11am), except a group dinner out on Sunday evening.
- All guided runs and coaching plus tailored training advice and 1-1 session.
- All workshops and seminars including handouts.
- All transport during the retreat and assistance with luggage to/from railway station if required.
Is it for you? In order to get the most out of the retreat, we recommend that you currently run 3 or more times a week, can run for an hour and have completed at least a 10K.